Re: [T3] (t3) Volksworld Show

Well,  the upshot of the "dropped valve" on the way to the Volksworld show
turned out to be nothing of the sort. The PO must have tried running the car
without the air filter, and it had sucked in a piece of foil from the
trapdoor insulation, which was in very poor condition. (I'd already replaced
it) This must have lodged in the inlet manifold for a while, and then got
into the combustion chamber. Presumably the "cough" and loss of power was
the foil getting trapped in the inlet valve, while the banging that I
thought was the valve head was simply the foil getting compressed into a
solid wad between the piston crown and the head. I suppose I could measure
the wad to check my deck height if I felt like it! I'm going to replace the
exhaust valves anyway while the heads are off; it must be about their time.
Seems my panic was all in vain.

The moral of the story is be very careful what falls down your carbs, as it
won't always go back out of the exhaust!

PS Gary M., if you think you might still be interested in the car, could you
e-mail me please, as I had to re-format my hard drive and lost your address.
Ta.