RE: [T3] Car Won't Start

On 31 Mar 2001, at 23:01, Mark Healey wrote:

> [...]

I can't imagine a situation that would fry 4 fuses. Fuses are not
blown by voltage spikes, but rather by current spikes. In most cases
you would need an extremely high voltage (manbe 20 V) to force enough
current flow thru a circuit to blow out a fuse. Such a voltage really
can't happen as long as the battery is there, because it serves to
regulate the voltage.

This is much more likely to be the result of a short somewhere, but I
don't understand how a short could blow out more than one fuse unless
someone had really screwed up the circuits and put them all in
parallel with their load sides connected together.

Which fuses were they? Are you sure they were okay before this
problem happened, or could they have been simply broken in the course
of taking them out to inspect them?

-
Jim Adney, Associate Researcher
Plasma Physics Group, Department of Physics
University of Wisconsin
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
608-262-4643