Re: [T3] Heated debate in the office.....

The "K" in VW K70 stands for "kolben" which is German for pistons, not
> rotors.  I don't know what the "70" stands for but I used to think it
stood for the
> year 1970 which was when NSU planned to introduce the car.  However, I
think I am
> wrong about this because what would the "80" in NSU Ro80 stand for when
the NSU
> Ro80 was introduced several years earlier in 1967?  Some have said the
"80" stood
> for the year in which NSU projected other manufacturers would finally
catch up with
> them!

I believe the 70 and 80 refer to the power of the engine, although I'm not
sure if that's in bhp or kW. The low compression K70 1600L produced 55kW/
75bhp(din) while the high compression version produced 67kW/90bhp(din). Mine
was a K70LS with the 100bhp 1800cc fire-breathing monster of an engine. Or
something! Actually not a bad car, except mine handled like an oil tanker on
valium.

Not a Type 3, though!