Re: [T3] exhaust

On 28 Mar 2001, at 15:34, Dave Campen wrote:

> > someone here mentioned that the red Hi-
> > Temp RTV silicone sealant would hold up to seal the gap between
> > the air jacket and the exhaust pipe on the heat exchanger.

> I've used red RTV on cheap header exhausts, and it's good for exhausts where
> the gaps are a bit too big for the seals to seal properly. It's not as
> durable as the regular automotive exhaust assembly pastes/ putties which set
> hard, but for our cars which tend to get taken apart every few years (or
> weeks in my case), the RTV is easier to dismantle and works just fine. I get
> mine from work, so it's "cheaper" anyway!

I was talking about the air jacket tin to exhaust pipe connection
(part of the heat exchanger), while you're talking about the exhaust
pipe to muffler connection. It's good to know that the red RTV
stands up to the latter also. If that's the case, I would think the
best solution would be to use the normal fiber donuts and slather
them with the RTV when installing them. This might give you the
best of both worlds.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org