Re: [T3] Running fuel pump (T3 Squareback)

On 26 Mar 2001, at 21:23, jesse and monica wrote:

> i am having fuel pressure problems, well almost no fuel pressure
> at all is more like it. the pump runs when i switch on the key as
> well as when i am cranking the car. so it can be one of two things.
> first of all i looked into my tank and there is rust, but the
> little screen is not clogged. so i know that fuel is making it to
> the pump. even though the fuel makes it to the pump is it possible
> that what rust is getting through is clogging the fuel filter hence
> reducing fuel pressure. or could the pump itself be clogged. is
> that possible? i changed the fuel filter and there was rust residue
> in the filter.

It is possible that something in the supply to the pump is clogged.
When you replaced the filter you should have gotten a disturbingly
healthy stream of gas out of the open end of the hose. With the
filter in place, the stream should be almost as strong.

> Second, how common is it to have a pump run but not deliver the
> proper amount of fuel or fuel pressure?

This is not at all common, as long as the supply to the pump input is
good.

> if i let the car set overnight and then hit the ignition...bam! it
> run's like a charm, but only for about a minute then it dies

Sounds to me like the supply to the pump is restricted somehow.
Overnight maybe enough seeps thru to run briefly.... The pump should
continue to run on its own as long as the engine is running.

> also on a side note what terminals do i bridge on the fuel pump
> relay to make the fuel pump run so that i can do a fuel pressure
> test?

The fuel pump relay is under the dash, just up and to the left of the
where the steering column goes thru the "firewall." Ignore the white
plastic plug on one end. Jumper the 2 red wires on the other end of
that relay together. If you have 3 red wires (AT) then jumper them in
pairs until you get a bit of a spark and hear the pump run.