Re: [T3] Rear Panels

Lex,
If your car is an Australian-built vehicle, in other words up until late 1968
(Sep 1968), it will have doors with two-bolt hinges and push-button door
handles (not the trigger type).  German-made Type 3s from 1968 models (i.e.
from 01/08/1968) had trigger door handles and different handle holes in the
door.

Rear side panels are unique to Notchbacks as they have no louvres.

German-made side panels (front and rear wings or fenders and doors) from 1967
models onwards (i.e. from 01/08/1966) will have small holes for the side
chrome strips while Australian vehicles up until late 1968 retained the large
holes for the wider side chrome strips.  (Unless, of course, your car is a
non-de luxe model without any side chrome strips.)

How can you tell whether your's is Australian-built?  Look at the glass.  If
it has a small "VW" logo with an "A" next to it and the word "armourfloat"
embossed on it, then you have Australian-made glass and an Austrtalian-made
car.  Behind the spare wheel should be a small plate which is not the vehicle
identification plate but which gives the body number and a sticker which gives
the paint colour code and paint name and is usually a Dulux colour and very
different to German colours.  German cars were not given this body number.
There are many other differences, too.

Regards,

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia