Re: [T3] Fuse Block / Push Buttons

On 25 Mar 2001, at 13:49, David Britton wrote:

> Today's questions are about the 10 position fuse block that I am
> installing.  I have p/n 131 937 505-1.  It appears to be identical to
> the one in the wiring diagrams except that terminals 3 and 4 are
> connected.
>
> 1.) Is this the correct fuse block?

I'm not sure, but I wonder if you could pull out the connected tabs
and replace them with disconnected ones from another fuse box,
even a later one. Make sure that the wiring diagram for your car
doesn't want these connected.

> Regarding an issue from a previous posting of mine, it was indicated
> that using the push button switch setup in a 12V system conversion will
> shorten the life of the dash light dimmer  (I wish I knew of this issue
> early on in my project... oh well!).  {:-(

I think the only problem is if you convert to 12V while hoping to
retain the OE 6V wiper motor. That motor will draw too much
current in a 12V system and burn out the variable resistance. If you
install a 12 V motor there will be no problem except that the
variable speed control won't make as much difference as it did on
6V. I don't know if that would be troublesome to you or not; it's
strictly a matter of personal preference.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054