Re: Fw: [T3] Rear drums

Russ Wolfe wrote:

> [...]

I used to own a 1971 Volkswagen 181 ("Thing" in USA) with swing axles and
reduction gears.  At one stage I had to rebuild the braking system.  I could
not get 181 parts here in Australia because these vehicles have never been
marketed here but I soon found out that the front and rear brake cylinders and
shoes were identical to those on swing axle Type 3s and that solved my
problem.  So, I suspect that there is a strong possibility that 181 drums just
might fit on a swing axle Type 3 .

And, if you could get hold of a complete 181 transaxle and reduction gears, you
might have a very nice off-road Type 3 !!!???  My VW 181 also had the optional
locking differential.

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia.