Re: Michelin XZX

> I don't think I ever had one give less than 125K, but I almost never
> drive on gravel.

 That's very illuminating, Jim.  I know USA cars don't need to turn
corners - at least nothing sharp - but those mileages are far higher than
could be achieved on UK roads with all the bends.  I hadn't realised just
what a difference the lack of corners makes.  40K to 50K would be very
respectable mileages for tyres here, even Michelins on 15" rims.  Maybe a
bit more with a greater proportion of motorway miles.  That said, 1.6mm of
tread is the legal limit - that's even more than the penny test I'd guess -
so I suppose that would be worth maybe 10% extra miles.
This slow wear seems to apply to engines and transmissions too, judging from
typical comments picked up from posts over a couple of years.

Are you sure USA miles aren't smaller than ours, like the gallons?   Only
kidding!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/