Re:Tires

About the treadwear ratings on tires, just because the treadwear rating isn't
high, doesn't mean the tire is of bad quality, it can just mean that the tire
is more soft, and therefore more sticky on the road; which in many cases
isn't bad for a tire!  My brother works for Continental-General tire and has
informed me that there is also no standard that tire manufacturers must
adhere to when measuring a tire's treadwear.  So who knows if a Kelly
Springfield's 400 treadwear is the same as a Unocal 76's 400 treadwear!  (by
the way I have the 76 brand tires, and they are great so far, and cost under
50 bucks each!)  But, anything is better than my previous tires -- they were
bought and installed by the original owner back in 1989 and I just replaced
them last month!  - they were a bit hard and cracked, though.
-Yancy Everhart