Re: [T3] front end

On 17 Mar 2001, at 12:15, Benjamin Hess wrote:

> went to get an alignmet yesterday on my 71 square. but the mechanic told me
> that it wasn't worth it to adjust to specifications because at the end of
> the road it would be right back out again. he also said there was about 2
> inches of play, and i needed to replace the front end. ithis guy seemed a
> little sketchy so i decided to try and fix it myself. i am jut wondering
> what all this means means? what parts exactly are needed to replace the
> front end? i am in the raleigh NC area and would love to know of any VW
> specalists here. i am new at this and just need to be pointed in the right
> direction. thanks a lot of any help!

I agree that your mechanic probably doesn't know anything about your
suspension, doesn't want to waste his time learning, and would prefer
just to install a bunch of new parts an make a lot more money. Since
all the parts for these are getting hard to find this is not the best
way to proceed.

I suggest that you start by getting a copy of the Bentley manual and
studying the front suspension chapter:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

This book is still in print, but all the printings for the last 15
years have had the wiring diagrams in B&W. I have a couple of old
versions with color diagrams for sale, however.