Re: [T3] RUST in battery compartment

All I did with the jacking points on my Fastback was remove the point with
its rotten bit of floor and seam weld in a thick sheet (18 gauge?)
overlapped onto the sloping shoulder pressing so that the repair piece could
be faired in nicely, then weld the cleaned-up jacking point back on.  They
only fix on the floor (or you couldn't separate the body and pan).  Result:
an invisible repair, strong enough to continue to act as a jacking point -
though I don't use it for routine jacking.

I was lucky that the original jacking point was in fair condition and only
needed a good cleaning and the remains of the floor panel ground off to be
ready for re-use.

If more of the floor is rusted where the battery sits, you might have to
sacrifice the authentic look for a more plain panel, or maybe one from a Bug
and modify that as necesary.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/