Re: [T3] sync carbs

On 13 Mar 2001, at 9:39, Hal Sullivan wrote:

> At 10:08 PM 3/12/01 -0600, Russ Wolfe wrote:

> >As for the timing, VW had a tool that clipped onto the projection on the fan
> >housing that is the mark that the pulley is supposed to line up with.
> >Otherwise, you just have to invent something, or "eyeball" it.
>
> I use a long screwdriver and eyeball it.  Works pretty well.

I just eyeball it. If you stand above the engine and look straight
down past that boss, then move your head from side to side until
the face of the flat JUST disappears, it is easy to sight straight
down to the marks.

Russ: When you did this for a living, did you usually just eyeball it?
Did you EVER use the special factory tool?

I've never seen this tool, only pictures, but I've always thought
about making one from a spring-loaded clothespin.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054