RE: Day/Night Mirror

On 13 Mar 2001, at 8:40, Fuhriman, Mark wrote:

> My old 70 had day/nite without the little stub.  So did the
> junkyard 70 from which I once pulled a new mirror.
>
> My 69 has day/nite, but no stub.  Greg's 69 has the stub?  Well
> his car, being an ex-li'l old lady car, probably has a better
> chance of being more original than mine.

Okay, it looks like the day/nite mirror came in 69, and the stub
disappeared in 70. I can also check a 70 that is parked near me
someday. This makes the 69 mirror, with both the stub and the
day/nite feature, a one year part. I think that's why I had a hard
time finding one to upgrade my 68 and ended up using a later one.

Related question: What was the first year for this style of inside
mirror? The previous style had a chrome stem which attached with
screws. I thought the snap-in mirrors started in 68, but I think
someone posted something recently that indicated otherwise.

Also: Has anyone here ever figured out a way to remove the mirror
part from the stalk? I have some mirrors with various broken parts
that I would like to reassemble into useful spares, but I haven't
figured out how to do this.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org