[T3] choices in rebuilding 1971 squareback fi motor

can anyone help give me some advice on rebuilding my 1971 squareback
motor. i just bought the car with 15000 original miles in completely
original condition. i want to rebuild the motor so that it is as fresh
and new as the rest of the car. i would like to beef up the horsepower
while i have the motor out. keep in mind nothing radical at all. i have
read that porting the heads as well as the intake runners and increasing
displacement on the fuel injected motors is a no no because it throws
off the air to fuel ratio. is this true? it makes sense to me because of
the way the fuel metering is monitored by the air pressure sensor. it
would have no way of knowing the more air is flowing into the
motor....hence throwing off the fuel to air balance. i come from the
water cooled side of vw and am very familiar to k-jetronic and
ke-jetronic fuel injection but d-jetronic is new to me. could someone
please shed some light on this subject for me? if so....could you give
me an idea of what a good motor setup would be i.e..
crank,cam,displacement,heads,valve size ect.. one more thing before i
bore everyone to death, is there an after market exhaust that will allow
the use of the heater boxes?