Re: [T3] Black Smoke and Burning Smell

On 11 Mar 2001, at 10:37, Matt Small wrote:

> I finally got my my car (73 Square FI/AT) started and running for more than
> 3 seconds (though she didnt want to stay running, lots of shaking and
> near-cutting out)  and a LOT of black smoke came shooting out of the exhaust
> pipe.  I quickly shut her down and noticed a strong burning smell coming
> from my engine compartment.  I checked connections of wires and everything I
> know how to do, but my fear is that it is coming from deep inside the
> engine.

The black smoke is probably from all the gas which is in there from
your previous attempts to start it. The smell is probably just oil,
etc on your muffler.

It's easy to get overexcited when you've never seen any of this stuff
before, but there is probably nothing here to worry about, other than
your basic problem which is probably related to spark and timing.