[T3] Black Smoke and Burning Smell

I finally got my my car (73 Square FI/AT) started and running for more than
3 seconds (though she didnt want to stay running, lots of shaking and
near-cutting out)  and a LOT of black smoke came shooting out of the exhaust
pipe.  I quickly shut her down and noticed a strong burning smell coming
from my engine compartment.  I checked connections of wires and everything I
know how to do, but my fear is that it is coming from deep inside the
engine...Any ideas?

Matt Small
OC Vintage Vee's
www.ocvv.org