Re: [T3] ZZZZZZZippp

> Microwelding? Is that actually an important part of seat and valve
> wear? I have never read that any where, but it sounds plausible.

That's what I understand is the main reason for valve seat recession.  At
high rpm the valve doesn't cool down enough between passing one (dis)charge
and the next, and surface temperatures can reach the point where tiny areas
of the seat and valve actually fuse together briefly before being ripped
apart again a moment later.

As you say, a quality VW valve is a far cry from a cheap replacement.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/
------