Re: [T3] ZZZZZZZippp

On 9 Mar 2001, at 22:10, Dave Hall wrote:

> Many of the UK classic car engines are significantly affected by lack of
> lead (not US gas-guzzlers but highly refined lots of bhp per litre).  The
> micro-welding that occurs between the valves and seats only becomes
> significant at higher rpm anyway, which our VWs don't normally reach
> comfortably.

Microwelding? Is that actually an important part of seat and valve
wear? I have never read that any where, but it sounds plausible.

Has anyone here ever heard of using a hard bronze alloy for valve
seats? Berg mentions this, but I don't know anyone who has tried it.
The advantages are better thermal conductivity, better thermal
expansion match with the head, and conformability to the valve.

I've been told that Honda switched to this 10-15 years ago and that
it totally eliminated valve jobs on their auto engines.

I'd love to hear more from anyone with experience with this.