Re: [T3] What Notch Have I Bought??

Lex Strauss,

A chassis number of *0415184*  would indicate that it was made in late April
1964 and the engine number of 592 389 would indicate manufacture in early June
1964.  These dates would be true if the car was made in Germany but manufacture
of Type 3s began at Clayton in Melbourne early in 1963 with a largely and
increasing Australian content.  If built in Australia, the vehicle could even
have come off the Melbourne production line a few months later.  Yet, just to
confuse matters, the Australian factory still used the German language vehicle
identification plates under the bonnet.  (The chassis number was never placed
on the dash except for US models.)  Look at the window glass to see if there is
a German "VW-Sekurit" logo on it or a circular "Armourfloat" logo.  The latter
would tell you that it has Australian-made glass and is therefore likely to be
Australian-built.

If the car was actually made in Germany, then, because the engine was made more
than a month after the car, it is not likely to be an original motor.  If it
was Australian-built, the engine could be original.

Regards,

Simon Glen
Toowoomba, Australia.