Re: [T3] squareback in Hot VWs

On 6 Mar 2001, at 19:22, Keith Park wrote:

> In the aircooled VW, 7.7:1 requires 92 oct... some take it conservitively an
> say 7.2:1

Keep in mind that there are 2 different octane rating systems: RON,
Research Octane Number, and MON, Motor Octane Number. What we see on
our pumps here in the US is the average of the 2: (RON + MON)/2.

I can never remember which is which, but one of them is lower than
the other and this is the one that VW refers us to on their little
stickers. What this means is that we have to buy gas sold with a
higher octane label than what the sticker says.

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org