Re: [T3] squareback in Hot VWs

On 5 Mar 2001, at 21:38, Jedediah Millheiser wrote:

> at 8.5:1?   my S-10 blazer runs 8.75:1CR and only
> calls for regular pump gas.
>
> i didn't think you needed premium until you hit at
> least the high 9s

It really depends on a lot of things, one of which is bound to be
head temp. Since air cooled cars run higher head temps than water
cooled cars, the EFFECTIVE CR of an air cooled engine is higher than
it appears.

I'm really not an expert on this. If you want really good info, get
some of Gene Berg's papers on this subject.

The CR of our engines was 7.7 up to 72, when it was reduced to 7.3.
With today's gas even that's too high.

Of course the CR is not particularly important when the engine is
lightly loaded, but with wide open throttle the internal pressures
reach their max and that's when knock happens and this will damage
things. Really.

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org