[T3] Advice on Type 3 purchase.

I am new to this list, and am looking for the right buy and year in a type
3.

I was looking at 412's, but it seems that the parts are kinda scarce.

Are there any particular model years better than others?  I like the older
style front ends, and would like to stay away from FI, for I am quite
comfortable with carbs.  Any unusual rust areas besides the normal end of
the heater channel places?  any thing special mechanical to look for?

Any help would be appreciated.
Adam Puzerewski
81 westy
74 beetle