Re: type3-d Digest V01 #131

On 5 Mar 2001, at 15:43, Tom Hansen wrote:

>   I believe these grounds were standard issue on these early cars , Jim. The
> turn signal holders have the terminal to attach the ground wire to, plus it
> is shown as a ground on all the diagrams that I have seen.

I realize that the Bentley manual shows a single wiring diagram for
68 and 69, but the grounds (or at least most of them) shown in that
diagram, were not present in my 68. I also recall VW making a rather
big deal about all the new ground wiring when the 69s were
introduced. Among other things, this meant that the 68 turn signal
relay has 3 terminals, while the 69 is functionally identical, with
the addition of a 4th ground terminal.

While the turn signal bases for these 2 years looked the same
externally, they are different inside and the 68s did not have the
spade connector for the ground connection.

I can't remember for sure where the '68 headlight ground was. It's
possible that it was run back to the inside of the trunk like was
described earlier, but I THINK it was just anchored to a sheet metal
screw inside the headlight bucket.

I'm not familiar with the earlier systems, so I suppose it's possible
that these grounds were there earlier and then dropped, then re-
established, but I doubt it.

Can someone else tell us?

Pitch in!  Send your pledge of support!  mailto:support@vwtype3.org