[T3] (t3) ignition timing

Another small request for info.....; My engine is something of a "bitsa"
(bitsa this and bitsa that), as it's a FI block (U0471327), with stock twin
carbs, and a 311 905 205G dizzy that I dug up out of the garage. I reset the
timing to 0deg BTDC at the weekend, as this seemed the "correct" setting,
and I had previously set it using no.3 lead which makes it a bit more
than that. The car now doesn't want to pull at all, and I'm wondering if I
should have set it more advanced after all. Bearing in mind the horrible
worn out
state of the engine I don't want to over-advance it just because it produces
more power.

Any suggestions?

btw you wouldn't believe how much grease my torsion arm bearings took. They
probably hadn't been done for twenty years, so they're a bit loose.....