[T3] Engine Questions

OK first things first.  I have been approved (by the wife) to get my 68
Squareback engine rebuilt.  Should I buy a long block and do the rest myself,
or should I have it rebuilt locally by Performance engineering?  If I go with
getting a long block who should I go with?  When I do all of this I would
like to go from stock to 1776 or 1914.  Which would be a better engine to go
with?  Also my engine now is Fuel Injected.  Should I stay with that or go
with carburetors?  I am going to replace the transmission as well.  Should I
get it rebuilt or just get a new one?  With the bigger engines am I gonna
have to get a different transmission or stay stock?  I would like to get a
freeway flier to put in it but not to sure it the engine would go with the
transmission.  I appreciate any and all help you guys could give me.  I am
finally ready to get the project going and can't wait to get started.

Greg
68 Squareback