Re: [T3] Aux. air regulator trouble

On 29 Jun 2001, at 11:25, HBakr@aol.com wrote:

> would anyone care to explaine the function of the aux air regulator on a FI
> 70 motor. I washed my engine with the hose to the AAR disconnected, and since
> then my idle is very unsteady untill I disconnect the temp sensor in the
> intake air dist.. When I do that it idle good again but runs rich. can I
> remove the AAR ? and what kind of device is it? and what should I do to make
> it good again?

The D-Jetronic FI power outputis completely controlled by the
amount of air admitted to the engine. Most of this is controlled by
the throttle, but a small amount of this is controlled by the idle air
adjustment. In order to help the engine run at a steady RPM as it
warms up, the AAR admits a little extra air when the engine is
cold, and then closes off as the engine warms up.

>From your symptoms, I don't really think the AAR is behind your
problem, but it is possible that you filled the hose that runs
between the AAR and the intake air distributor with water. You
might want to just take that hose off and let all the water drain out.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054