RE: [T3] intermittent ignition interruption: irritation!

> Subject: [T3] intermittent ignition interruption: irritation!
>

> Any ideas on this would be most appreciated... at this point,
> no theory is
> too wacky:
> So I'm driving down the road, nice as you please, when the
> fire goes out.  No
> warning , no sputter, just silence... then, 2-3 seconds
> later, starts up
> again, all by itself (without cranking the starter).
>  This happens at random intervals, at all speeds/RPMs, hot or
> cold engine,
> dry or rainy day.  I can drive all the way across town
> without it happening
> at all, and on the way back it'll do it every other block...
> then not at all
> for a couple miles, then twice in a real short span, etc.
> Distributor, rotor, points, condensor, coil, generator,
> plugs, wires have all
>  been replaced and/or swapped with "known working" parts off
> other VW's, for
> troubleshooting purposes.. no difference. Do I just start
> hunting for a
> random short in some wire somewhere?  Do I throw my hands up
> in despair and
> spring for a new harness?
> Anyone had a similar experience?
> Many thanks.

Check the mounting screw for the FI power relay under the back seat. Also
see if you can tell if the pump is running when it quits. This just sounds
like a loose connection somewhere.

Russ Wolfe
russ_wolfe@MAHLEParr.com

Mahle Parr Filter Systems