Re: [T3] '68 Notch questions

On 27 Jun 2001, at 20:53, Henrik Larsson wrote:

> I removed both lower bump stops tonight. The mushrooms appear sound and the
> rubber survived, but the steel "collars" on the rubber bump stops are rusted
> beyond repair. I don't really understand what these "collars" do, does
> anyone know? Is it safe to mount the rubber without them?

I think those collars just give the stops something flat to back up
against. They will probably work okay without them. It seems likely
that those collars tended to hold water and promote the rusting of
themselves and the mushrooms. There may be some concern
about whether the rusting collar means that the mushroom is about
to fall off.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org