re: type3-d Digest V01 #361

on 6/22/01 12:37 PM, ERIK PUSKAR at epuskar@iasd.cc wrote:

> Also, does anybody make or fabricate upper wheel wells that can be welded in
> place after cutting all the rot out?  Would anybody be willing to make some
> for me?
>
> Other than the rust as described, the car is very solid and the interior is
> almost like new.  And it also came with alot of neat paperwork, brochures from
> when it was purchased, and the original dealer license plate trim.  I wish it
> had the original sales sticker.

Look at Keith Park's rust FAQ on the t3.org website. You're looking at alot
of work, none of which is easy or cheap, by my experience. Had rust in many
of the same areas (except my rockers were good) and three years later I
finally have those problems taken care of (I think). Look all the way toward
the back of the front luggage compartment. That metal is probably rusted out
too. THAT and those fender wells and your rockers should be your main source
of concern. Find yourself a GOOD welder who cares about doing good work who
can hammer sheet metal. This is not a great place for Bondo.

> It's hard to explain how deeply this rot can
>penetrate, but I am concerned that you will get into this a ways and
>then get discouraged. This might be a good car to get going just
>well enough to drive, or useful for some of the many good parts it
>has, but I think it may be just too far gone to be an affordable
>restoration.

Don't let Jim scare you. As far I'm concerned "affordable" and "restoration"
are contradictions in terms. There's not a whole lot of room for claims of
pragmatism when it comes to keeping a 30 year old car on the road ;). This
isn't about pragmatics, this is about BEAUTY and keeping beautiful things
out there in the world! (Can I get a witness?)

However, this condition will make the resto expensive:(

I do agree with Jim though that for me it was hard to keep in mind that the
idea of having this car was that it was supposed to be FUN, not torture. So
get it driveable, and go on a nice road trip this summer.

Mike Wodkowski
72 SQBK
Brooklyn