From: Jaranson, John (J.W.) [mailto:jjaranso@ford.com]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 7:49 AM
To: T3 List (E-mail)
Subject: [T3] It's alive!!!!!!

My '66 Square moved under its own power yesterday for the first time in over
ten years!!!!!!

I finally got the starter circuit working by going through the whole system
and checking connections and also pulling the starter and cleaning it up per
Dave Hall's instructions from his website. Thanks Dave.  I am not sure what
exactly fixed it, but after putting it all back together, the starter would
spin by turning the key.  Alright!  That was on Friday night.

Saturday, I put the engine back in and static timed it by lining up the
proper timing mark with the boss on the fan shroud and then twisting the
distributor around until the points just opened (at least as far as my eye
could tell).  I also set the stock dual carbs as per the carb tuning page
from Dave Hall's site (thanks again Dave).  I gave each carb a shot of
starting fluid and turned the key.  whhhrrrrrrr, pop, pop!  It fired a
couple of times.  YAHOOOOO!!  Now I just needed to add some gas and see if
it would run.

Figured I better check the tank for critters and stuff before adding gas
(yeah I still had not checked it).  Pulled the sending unit and looked in
with the flashlight......RUST!!!!!  lots of it.  Pulled the tank and dumped
about 2 cups worth of rust and scale out of the tank........8^(  Called it a
night at 1:30am.  At least it had fired a couple of times.

Sunday morning I threw a chain in the tank and shook it around and dumped
out more rust.  I pulled the outlet pipe from the bottom of the tank and
cleaned all the rust and varnish from it.  I blew out the hard line from
front to rear.  Washed out the tank with a bit of gas and found a couple of
pin holes.  Patched them with some JB Weld and reinstalled the tank with a
new piece of fuel line.  Added a gallon or so of gas.....

After a few more shots of starter fluid, she fired right up!!!!  After
warming up a bit she was running good.  I noticed one carb was dripping gas
down the throat continuously so pulled it and reinstalled the old float
valve and that fixed that.  Warmed her up and drove back and forth in the
driveway  few times.  Got brave and took her down the block and back.  Very
cool feeling to be driving a VW again, even if the brakes still need to be
bled a bit, there is no windshield or rear window installed (great
flow-through ventilation!), most of the interior is out of the car, etc,
etc, etc, etc.........

Still need to verify the timing with a timing light and check the sync of
the carbs......but she is alive!!!!!!!

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI Auto Fasty (Jane)