Re: [T3] clutch release arm removal for return spring replacement

On 24 Jun 2001, at 15:41, steven anderson wrote:

> 1968 fastback.  Brokern clutch return spring.
> You've been a help to me in the past so I'm sending
> you this question about VW's.  How would you reccomend
> I replace the spring.  How could I do it without
> removing the clutch release lever.  It is stuck.

You can replace the spring without removing the arm from the shaft.

First, buy the correct replacement spring.

Usually you can replace the spring just by threading it in there, but
it is usually easier if you disconnect the clutch cable first.

If you can't get the spring in, you can remove the fixing bolt (10mm
head) that holds the shaft bushing in place. This will allow the shaft
to slide out slightly and let you get the spring in. Then you have to
slide the shaft in and use a stiff wire or punch to MAKE SURE you
have the hole in the bushing aligned with the threaded hole in the
transmission case before you put the fixing bolt back in.

Once the spring is wrapped around the shaft properly and the fixing
bolt is tightened back in place, use the box end of your 10mm
wrench to hook the outer end of the spring and lever it around the
clutch arm. It will snap into place and then you can wiggle your
wrench out of there. Watch your fingers!

Reconnect and adjust the clutch cable.