Re: type3-d Digest V01 #361

I recently purchased a '72 Squareback that is all original (hasn't been inspected since the PO retired in 1982) but is rusted out in the upper front wheel wells, front fenders and the heater channels.  I used my shopvac and sucked out a lot of rust in the channels though the heater vents inside the rocker panels.

When I begin to restore this car, how do I go about opening up the rockers to replace that inner heater channel?  There are aftermarket heater chanels and rockers available right?

Also, does anybody make or fabricate upper wheel wells that can be welded in place after cutting all the rot out?  Would anybody be willing to make some for me?

Other than the rust as described, the car is very solid and the interior is almost like new.  And it also came with alot of neat paperwork, brochures from when it was purchased, and the original dealer license plate trim.  I wish it had the original sales sticker.

I am looking for parts and mechanics/restorers of Type 3's in the Western PA/Eastern Ohio region (I live in the east suburbs of Pittsburgh).

Can anybody help me or provide some leads and info?  I need some guidance with this new project.

Thanks

Erik

'62 Kombi
'72 Squareback