Re: [T3] VW 041 Racing heads

>  > I have often come across the description (in American Mags etc.) of
>  > 'Genuine VW 041 Racing heads" .What are these & how do they differ
>  > from the std. twin port head.
>
> > I also read about various heads specified by numbers like this and
> > don't know what these numbers mean or where they came from.
> > Does anyone know? Can you write out an explanation of each? >>

These heads are "universal" replacements; the 040 or 041 is an abbreviation
of the part number. The 040 101 375 2 head is a stock twin-port head made in
Brazil with 35.5/32 mm valves. The 040 101 373 is the same but single port.
The 041 is 041 101 375 2 and is a "factory racing" head with 39.3/32 mm
valves and larger ports. It may have ben developed for the SP2, as I believe
this may have had bigger valves. It certainly had a 1679cc engine. Perhaps
Simon knows more about this aspect. I have heard that the 041 exhaust valve
should be enlarged, as the stock one is the same as the stock 040 head,
restricting the breathing of the engine.

The drawback with these heads is that they don't normally have the bosses
for any of the FI stuff you need in the US, but for the rest of us I think
that's about all we can get these days.