Re: [T3] losing compression

On 19 Jun 2001, at 14:47, PunkDork55@aol.com wrote:

>     I was talking to this woman over the phone about her 1970
> fastback that she was selling, and she said that her mechanic said
> that it was "losing compression on the right side".  She said "it
> just wouldnt go fast enough on the freeway..."  but she also didnt
> know if it was FI or carburated, and she said that the door panels
> were "raggidy and needed some bolts"  hmmm....

>     Anyway, a loss of compression is usually due to worn rings?
> and seals right?  or the head studs pulling out of the case? (she
> put in a rebuild engine for $400 in 97)   Correct me if i'm wrong,
> but assuming everything else was fine, to make it driveable for any
> significant length of time, it would need a new/rebuild engine,
> right?

It's not unusual for owners to be completely ignorant of what's
going on with their cars. And it's often not fair to just accept what a
mechanic says either, because some of what they say will be
affected by how they feel when they see you drive in their garage.

My rule of thumb is that every type 3 I buy will get a complete
overhaul of the brakes and the engine. Often the engine can wait,
however. Fix it up as best you can right away, then drive it until
you're pretty sure you KNOW what the problems are. The low
compression could be rings, valves, valve adjustment, or pulled
head studs, or just a poor diagnosis, or ....

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054