Re: [T3] fuel pump problems

On 17 Jun 2001, at 23:34, Jeff Palmer wrote:

> I have a 1969 FI automatic notchback that I just got back on the road after
> rescuing it from the crusher.  I've had it for 2 years tucked away until i
> had some time/money to work on it.  In the past I had some trouble with a
> 'clicking' fuel pump relay.  After replacing the relay with another, no
> change.  Finally my mechanic took it apart and cleaned the contacts, and
> although it still clicks at a very low idle it is for the most part silent.
> That's the good news.

This is a pretty sure indication that the problem is NOT in the pump
relay, but in some part of the circuit that controls the pump relay.
Start by finding the main power relay under the back seat and
make sure that the ground wire under its mounting bracket is tight.

> The bad news is the pump doesn't shut off after a couple of seconds with the
> key in the 'on' position.  It keeps running and if the car won't start and
> you return to the 'off' position, it continues to run.

In this case, how do you generally get it to shut off? Sounds like
your mechanic decided to just wire it on to make the relay a non-
problem.

If you pull the white translucent plug off the pump relay does the
pump stop? It will if the pump relay is wired right.

> The strange news is that yesterday when I closed the passenger door, the
> pump started running (with the motor off and the key in the off position).
> When I opened and closed the door again, it stopped.

Sounds like you have a combination of a loose connection and
something miswired. It seems most likely that you will find the
loose wire first, and then the pump will want to run ALL the time.
Then you will have a chance to find where things are miswired.

> The really good news is after getting it saftied and insured, I took it for
> a 150 km round trip to Gimli, Manitoba on Lake Winnipeg and it was a very
> pleasant and uneventful drive.  Cruised very nicely at 55mph.

Sounds like a good start. ;-)

> What's the first thing I should look for?  I have a Haynes but no Bentley
> (yet) and I didn't do very well in my Grade 12 electronics class.

I don't recall if the Haynes covers FI very well. I have some good
used Bentleys that I'd like to sell, however. Their FI coverage is
pretty good. This effort will give you the chance to make up for what
you missed in class....

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org