[T3] fuel pump problems

I have a 1969 FI automatic notchback that I just got back on the road after
rescuing it from the crusher.  I've had it for 2 years tucked away until i
had some time/money to work on it.  In the past I had some trouble with a
'clicking' fuel pump relay.  After replacing the relay with another, no
change.  Finally my mechanic took it apart and cleaned the contacts, and
although it still clicks at a very low idle it is for the most part silent.
That's the good news.

The bad news is the pump doesn't shut off after a couple of seconds with the
key in the 'on' position.  It keeps running and if the car won't start and
you return to the 'off' position, it continues to run.

The strange news is that yesterday when I closed the passenger door, the
pump started running (with the motor off and the key in the off position).
When I opened and closed the door again, it stopped.

The really good news is after getting it saftied and insured, I took it for
a 150 km round trip to Gimli, Manitoba on Lake Winnipeg and it was a very
pleasant and uneventful drive.  Cruised very nicely at 55mph.

What's the first thing I should look for?  I have a Haynes but no Bentley
(yet) and I didn't do very well in my Grade 12 electronics class.

Jeff