[T3] 66 Square Starter Won't...

Well, I spent a few hours tonight working through my electrical system.  I
have everything working except:

The horn......I believe the horn is just stuck from sitting so long and
corrosion.  I am hoping that some penetrating oil and some tapping with a
hammer while hooked to a 6 volt source will free it up.

The wipers....I still have not been able to free up the switch to turn it on.
 Don't know what other gremlins there might be in the wipers, but they have
been a lower priority.

And the starter.  This is now my #1 priority since it is really the only
thing keeping me from firing up the engine and getting her on the road.  The
symptoms are that nothing happens when I turn the key to the "start"
position.  The red idiot light does come on and it might dim slightly when
going from "on" to "start".  The green light does not come on since the
engine is not in the car yet and thus the oil pressure sensor is not
connected.  There are no clicks or anything.  The solenoid does not kick in
and the started does not spin.

So what have I checked......

If I use a screw driver to short between the + and - terminals on the
solenoid the starter will spin.  If I short terminal 50 on the solenoid
(where the large red wire attaches) to the + on the solenoid, the solenoid
will kick in and the starter will spin.  I interpret this as the both the
starter and the solenoid being OK.

I have continuity in the red wire from the solenoid to the back of the
ignition switch. (terminal 50 to 50).  I have continuity from the battery to
the voltage regulator (VR) and from the VR to the ignition switch (terminal
30).  I also have it from terminal 30 to 50 when the key is in the "start"
position.  I interpret this as the start circuit being complete and without
breaks when the key is in the "start" position.

So why won't the starter spin with the key????????  Is there just so much
voltage drop going through all the wires and connections that it just can't
kick in the solenoid?  Is adding a relay in the starter circuit the answer?
I have checked and cleaned all of the connections except those directly in
the ignition switch.

Anything I am forgetting to check or do?  I am ready to put the engine back
in, but would like to get the starter going first.  All thoughts and input
appreciated.

Thanks for reading a long message...

Later,
John Jaranson