RE: [T3] '66 Square 6 Volt Questions

> Subject: RE: [T3] '66 Square 6 Volt Questions
>

> Shorting the terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver
> kicks the solenoid and spins the starter.  That is why I
> suspect that it is in the switch somewhere.  Maybe adding a
> relay in the circuit will help.  I am also considering a
> small momentary switch mounted on the tunnel that will
> perform the "start" function since the "on" position of the
> key switch seems to be alright.  I will also try the contact
> cleaner idea.  It certainly seems like many of the contacts
> can use a shot of this stuff.

IIRC, Your '66 has the ignition that is perpendicular to the steering shaft.
If so, you can check the ignition switch, by popping the plastic cap off
opposite the key. There should be 2 red wires inside and at least 1 black.
If you short the 2 red ones together, the starter should run. If it does,
then you probably have a bad switch. If it doesn't, then the problem is
somewhere else. Start tracing it from there, and work you way towards the
starter.

Russ Wolfe
russ_wolfe@MAHLEParr.com

Mahle Parr Filter Systems