Re: [T3] '66 Square 6 Volt Questions

On 14 Jun 2001, at 1:17, JaransonT3@aol.com wrote:

> I can get the solenoid to kick and the starter to spin by shorting
> across the solenoid, but still get nothing by turning the key.  Sounds
> like my switch needs some attention.  Anything else it could be?

Does anything happen when you short from the hot term on the sol
to the sol term? This should spin everything. If not, the problem is
in the sol. I have taken these apart on occasion and fixed things,
but it requires unsoldering some connections.

If that works, it could be the switch, but there are a couple of other
possibilities. Is there some place where you could disconnect the
wire that goes from the switch to the sol? If so, do this and
measure the voltage on the switch side when you turn the key,
then touch the sol side to the batt + term to see if the sol works
now. That can help you decide which side the problem is on.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054