[T3] master cylinder questions

In a message dated 6/12/01 7:24:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
type3-d-request@vwtype3.org writes:

<<
>The typo was in the stated nominal pushrod length; the error is
>rather obvious, however, because it is quite large, around 10mm.
>The clearance is correct.
>Yes, absolutely, the correct way to adjust the free play is with the
>pedal stop.

So if the manual gives a measurement for the length of the pushrod, it's off
by about 10mm? Okay. I don't see an actual measurement given, it's just
referred
to as dimension 'A' in my edition, and says don't change it.

It does say to adjust the brake pedal freeplay by moving the pedal stop
bracket so that freeplay is 5 to 7mm, which will translate to 1mm inside the
cylinder, of course that assumes the push rod length hasn't been altered by
me beforehand. It goes on to say that the distance from the back of the pedal
to the cross panel must not be less then 225mm & to measure the distance from
the back of the pedal to the cross panel. So if the distance is found to be
225mm or better, there will be enough pedal to stop the car should half of
the brakes fail, unfortunately this measurement probably also assumes the
push rod length hasn't been changed. therein lies the rub. more investigation
and reading maybe the answer will come. -chris