Re: [T3] engine rebuild

On 11 Jun 2001, at 22:47, Barry Viss wrote:

> 1. oil cooler seals:  my gasket kit came with 4 seals that appear identical
> and too thin, and 2 seals that are too thick. The diameters of the thicker
> ones all are correct, it's just too tall. Is it maybe supposed to crush this
> much?  Can I re-use the old ones if they didn't leak?

For your 68, the thick ones are the right ones. Just don't forget to
use the 3 spacer washers on the mounting studs.

> 2. Rocker shaft support studs:  My gasket kit came with four o-ring's that
> are not the same as the previously installed seals but look like they would
> work with a little stretching. Is this correct?

Yes.

> 3.  The gasket kit also contains 5 paper gaskets with about 8 mm center
> diameter. Where do these go?

Some engines used these under some of the 8mm case nuts and
washers. Maybe Russ knows which locations.

> 4. I have one parts bag classified: "misc parts that its obvious where they
> go"  (Dist drive shaft, flywheel nut, oil pressure relief...) In it is a
> thin spring washer with an inner diameter about 10 mm.  I have looked
> through every part off the engine and it is the only one.

Does it fit over the bottom end of the dist drive shaft? If so, you
should have 2 of them.

> 5.  I have heard some people say not to use the gaskets between the cyl. and
> the case, but all the manuels say use them.  What do you say?

I guess VW says not to use them any more. Use silicone
automotive sealant instead.

> 6.  The exhaust valve of #3 cyl:  the stem is a little concave where the
> rocker pushes it. Should I worry about it?  It looks like it would be enough
> to throw off the setting because it would be a flat feeler gauge between two
> rounded surfaces, kind of like  ( | (  if you know what I mean?

While the slight concavity is not a problem, I would ALWAYS do a
valve job and replace ALL the exhaust valves at any engine rebuild.
The valve guides should also be checked and replaced if they are
worn, too. Intake valves can be reused, but exhaust valves are a
common failure point, so you should buy good quality ones and
have someone who knows what they are doing do this job for you.

An exhaust valve that fatigues and breaks can ruin your engine and
your whole day!  8-(

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org