Re: [T3] Clutch Woes

On 10 Jun 2001, at 10:28, Ron Arnold wrote:

> has anyone ever had a problem with there clutch cable wearing it self thru
> that umm holder on the side of the transmission ?? is there a way to fix
> this other then replaceing the transaxle cover ? it looks like this piece is
> built onto the transaxle cover

I don't know why this would happen. Did the cable saw thru both
the steel end of the Bowden tube AND the aluminum support arm
that is part of the side cover casting? Or is the Bowden tube not
properly installed so that the cable is not piloted correctly? In either
case I'd think that the cable would saw a rather narrow kerf and this
would not hurt the function of that support.

If it really is destroyed, there was an earlier steel support that
bolted onto the outside, for side covers that did not have the
integral support. I may have one of these from a 65, but you would
have to cut off the old support and put in longer studs.

I would prefer not to do either. You might be able to just add one of
the adjustment washers there, between the Bowden tube and the
support.