[T3] Misc type 3 engine comments

Today I was looking for one of the air intake elbows for a FI engine.
I was surprised that I had trouble finding a good one and realized
that while these have always lasted forever for me, I often find that
they have been abused by mistake on cars that come to me late in
their lives.

The mistake that people seem to make is to think that since there
are clamps on those elbows they should be tightened really tight.
Instead of that, here's what I recommend: Loosen both clamps and
slip everything together, then carefully take the air cleaner off the
engine without moving the elbow with respect to the air cleaner.
Turn the clamp on the air cleaner end so the "buckle" is on the
bottom, out of the way, and then tighten it to keep it from moving in
the future. Then tighten the other end just barely enough to make it
a slip fit on the intake air distributor.

If you do this right, you can slip the air cleaner in and out without
touching either of the clamps and without leaving any stress on the
elbow.

************

I took a good look at an old muffler I recently replaced. I was
surprised to notice that it had been carefully made so that the 2
inlets that came from the 2 rear cylinders have long tubes that
extend maybe 2 feet into the muffler. This looks like it makes the
total tube length for each of the 4 cylinders approximately equal.

Looking at some of the other old mufflers I have here, it appears
that not all manufacturers did this. To tell the difference, you just
have to reach or look in either of the inlets that have the threaded
connectors on them. The tubes on the best mufflers just go in and
disappear around a bend. Those tubes turn and run 2/3 of the way
toward the other end of the muffler.