Re: [T3] T3 vs T4 auto

> The T-4 automatic was the same transmission as the T-3,  just different
> motor mounts.

There are a few other differences. The T3 had a 3.67 final drive while the
T4 had a 3.73 for the fasty and a 3.91 for the SB. There was also the speed
or gear (?) output to the brain of the T4. Plus the T4 has the larger T2
sized CVs as opposed to the T1 size that the T3 has.

   The T3, T4 and early T2s were the same basic 003 auto section but the bus
had the monsterously heavy cast iron diff housing as opposed to the light
alloy one of the cars. There were also some internal differences in the
clutch packs and springs. Without an overhaul manual I can't tell you the
differences, but I've been told from reliable sources that the bus and T4
had 1 more clutch disc. The 003 auto section was also shared with the Rabbit
and small Audis.

   The larger 010 auto out of the later buses were shared with the larger
Audis, like the 5000 and 5000s turbo. And again had a very heavy case. These
autos are gaining some popularity with the off road crowd and are proving
themselves rather bullet proof.

>>if you could strengthen a VW auto enough a
> > type4 probably would run pretty well with one since
> > they produce so much tourque

I'll be finding out this summer. I put a 2.7L T4 into my notch and a T4
auto.

Tom Hansen
 '69 Bug, 2161cc, 5spd, etc.
 '64 Notch, 2688cc, and almost done!