Re: gas to varnish: fact or myth? (was Re: [T3] Starting a stored VW)

On 8 Jun 2001, at 16:18, Greg Merritt wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Dave Hall wrote:
>
> > In the USA, I hear, the old gas will be hard varnish in the pipes and the
> > whole system will probably need flushing.

> 	I always hear this, but have found that carbs that were "parked"
> with gas in them, and sat unused for several years, worked just fine.
>
> 	Is this an urban legend, or is it true?  Would we see this "hard
> gunk" in a jar if we filled it with gas and let evaporation do its things?
> Is there a chemist in the house?

I've had mixed experiences. Most of the time my gas is fine, and
I've left it there for up to about 4 years. I just worked over a car
which had sat for about 8 years, however, and the FI fuel pump was
filled and clogged with a kind of gelatin. The tank was still half full,
however, and the gunk in it is slowly dissolving and disappearing
without causing any further problems.

I'm sure that evaporation makes this much worse, and I suspect
that slow oxidation can play a role over very long time periods.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054