Re: [T3] T3 vs T4 auto

Subject: Re: [T3] T3 vs T4 auto

> from the info ive seen the type4 tranny is VERY
> different from any other VW tranny and has a bad rap
> for being a PITA to work on.

????????????????
The T-4 automatic was the same transmission as the T-3,  just different
motor mounts. The T-4 Manual trans was completely different than the
T-1/T-3. It was more like the 914 porsche trans. in appearance.

> i dont know if a type4 motor would bolt up to an 003
> auto.   if you could strengthen a VW auto enough a
> type4 probably would run pretty well with one since
> they produce so much tourque

It is the same bell housing as the T-3. Just has some mounting holes on the
side for the center mount. The guts of a T-3 automatic is the same for the
T-3, T-4, AND the T-2. The T-3 automatic is a VERY strong trans. I think the
T-2 may have had some extra disks and heavier springs in the some of the
clutch packs. The guts of these transmissions are still used today in a lot
of the water cooled cars, with a few modifcations.

Russ Wolfe
russw@classicvw.org
http://www.classicvw.org/