Re: [T3] 5 speed transaxle

Brian Schlepp wrote:

> In 1982 the type2 camper started having available a 5 speed transaxle,
> (according to my book "model documentation").  Was this in the US?  Is
> it possible to use this trans in a type3?

This tranny is way too big, I guess. In addition the 5-speed was only
available in the US on the 1983 Diesel Vanagons. Being the diesel, it has
a very low r&p, 5.86:1 if I remember correctly, but the stock gas 4,86:1
r&p can easily be swapped in. If you still want some facts I can check out
the ratios in the Bentley manual.

>  Or was 1st gear a really
> low "granny gear".

only on the Syncro

If you want a 5-speed that bad, it would be better to go with a 5-speed
conversion like Toby Erkson has done to his tranny.

PerL
73 Variant L
Former: 87 & 88 Vanagon Syncro