Re: [T3] pretronix ignition

On 6 Jun 2001, at 20:53, jesse and monica wrote:

> the sensor i was talking about is the one that mounts in the
> distributor.

I realized later that you must have meant the Pertronics unit itself.

> i had spark, i just did not seem to firing at the right time. i set the
> timing without running the motor, i believe that is called statically? i
> seem that the timing was so out that the car would not run. i should
> have set the timing with the mark that's all the way to the left of the
> marks? that is 0 degrees right? that's what my car should be set at
> according to bentley as well as muir.

Can the Pertronic ignition be timed statically? I don't know if that
works. Try checking it dynamically to see if it still appears right
with the engine turning over.

> so when i measure the dwell i hook the red lead on my multimeter to the
> positive side of the coil and the black lead on my multimeter to the
> negative side?

You should hook your dwell meter as follows: red lead to the points
side of the coil (-) and the black lead to ground.

> Also while i am hear i notice that the po before me removed the
> thermostat for the cooling flaps. i have read conflicting opinions on
> this. what do you think? my position is if vw put it on there it should
> be there.

You are correct.

> And finally, while i had my distributor out i cleaned it as well as
> checked the vacuum advance and found that it leaks a little when i
> sucked on it. i would assume this should be a concern, it does not leak
> really fast and it is advancing the timing but i think i should replace
> it before it gets worse, opinions? the distributor number is 311 905 205

If it leaks only slightly it will probably be fine, but you may want to
keep an eye on it. Replacements are available for ~$45.