RE: [T3] pretronix ignition?

Jesse,

First of all you may have bought the wrong
pertronix model for your car, some models for
aircooled are just too big and will not clear
the rotor. The correct one fits in without removing
the sensor from the bracket.

Another problem I see is that the hook up is wrong ,
the red wire , I hooked it up to 12v positive ignition
not to the negative side, the black wire is the one
hooked up to the negative side of the ignition coil.
The round "magnet" and the sensor should have very
small clearance from each other, I think about
.004 inch away , it is in the instructions, also
a plastic feeler gauge should have been included
in the kit.

I have had this for almost two years and really makes my
car humm without regular adjustments. It worked the
first time I hope you did not break your Pertronix.
Red is for power and the black wire is for the on and off
of the coil negative like the points. I do not remember
but I think there is a ground connection at the
sensor. I have to look.

The air regulator valve you mentioned should close
when the engine heats up or when your engine is on,
depending on what model you have. There is the heat
activated one, this requires no electrical connection.
The newer type that you may have is probably like mine,
this requires an electrical connection. Inside these ,
there is a heater coil and and a themostically
controlled valve, On my unit the heater coil stopped
heating. I had to grind the seam off to open mine
I found that the heater coil rivets were loose and
did not give proper contact so I used a small hammer
and center punch to tighten these, and was careful
not to break the ceramic around the heater coil.
The internal thermostat controlled valve is adjustable.
You can set it up to close sooner or later. I adjusted
mine to close sooner. I had to clean the valve
in solvent, in order ot make it close properly
because it was getting stuck at random times
when it worked. My unit does close the vacume all
the way after warm up. To put back together I had
to use a split fuel hose and one of those
radiator clamps , I will weld it one these years.
Works fine for 6 months now. You may wish to do
this if you can. My engine is very steady and
it's idle does not wander.

LEON MARTINEZ

1969 SQUAREBACK EFI/AUTO
SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA